Monday, 15 March 2010

Tokio 1: Shibuya

Hi everybody,

first all I want to apologize for my delay, I am sorry, an empty week, I know, but I will try that this does not happen very often. You know, the work, the social life and the lack of inspiration (I have never been a good writer) have made me let down, but now I am again engaged in. Today I would like to tell you about the big apple, yes, today is Tokio´s (東京都) day. I have been already three times there, once every two weeks, Tokio is the city of contrasts and architectonic disorder. I will start with the place where I started, with the Shibuya (渋谷区) quarter or ward. It is placed in the western side of the city, it is full of modern buildings, shops, bars, restaurants ans the most important: it is full of people! The majority are young people, and the youth in Japan wear sometimes very crazy clothes! There are cool guys, rapers, kitschy girls and girls and guys in school dress, just like in the manga comics. The
usual meeting point in Shibuya is the statue of Hachiko (ハチ), a dog with a very nice history that you can read in the marked link. Can you find it in the photography? Because it is the meeting point, it is always surrounded by many people. Have you already found it? Ok, I will help you a little bit, it is close to the trunk of a three, is there any better place for a dog? :-)

Taking a look in Wikipedia, I have found out that the images that I will show you here are not original at all, I even recommend you to take a look in the web if you are still curious, they have even videos. Anyway, I was there and I want to share it with you. In the pictures you can see some kind of sequence, the people waiting for the traffic light to change into green, crowding and when the lamp finally changes, the mass crosses from one corner to another, following any direction, filling the crossing as it would be a normal pedestrian square. This city is really very full and when people come together...



 The same scene but with umbrellas is even more impressive, because here everybody wear an umbrella. Unfortunately, I do not have any photo to show you, perhaps another day. It comes to my mind a word which is very much used in my city, "la bulla" this means the crowd, the mob (to get an idea, please take a look to the pictures shown in the link). Then, I can not avoid to think: Shibuya, la bulla? (help: buya and bulla are pronounced in the same way in the majority of Spain).

A hug

No comments:

Post a Comment