Friday, 14 May 2010

Kodomo no hi (こどもの日)

This post is devoted to my sister Soledad

Hi everybody,

I will spring momentaneaously the Sakura's post for a brief one about Kodomo no hi (こどもの日). This is the children's day, it takes place the 5th of May and since 1948 is a national holiday inside the Golden Week (I will talk about this week soon). That day, they celebrate the respect of children's personalities and their happiness. The same date is the Tango no sekku (端午の節句) (the original celebration). Do you remember my previous post about the girls day (Hina Matsuri, 雛祭り)? So, this is the equivalent one for boys. As for the girls they use to setup a plattform full of dolls, for the male children they have enough with only one. That one can be a doll dress as a warrior with a Kabuto (星兜), a helmet used by samurais, or a Kintarō (金太郎) doll, which represents a legendary child some kind of folk hero from Japanese folklore. As you can expect, in our residence they have prepared such platform and choosed the Kabuto one, you can see it in the picture. I have to say that this guy creeps me out, it is ugly and scary, don't you think so? Additionally, they wrote an explanation, only in english, that I include here (see photo).



Besides the dolls, on the streets people raise carp-shaped flags (fish is not only for eating!) on balconies or masts called koinobori. To finish my post I have included a picture made on the beach where they were many of them attached to a kite... you see, in Japan fishes not only swim but fly ;-)

A hug

No comments:

Post a Comment